Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dear Reader,

Dear Reader,


Hi, name is Matt Wright and I am 18 years old, this is my first year at Everett Community College. I graduated in 2009 from Everett High School. I am hoping to get my Associate in Arts and Sciences from EvCC. Why? Because it is a basic degree and I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life, and this degree would make it easier to transfer if I want to do so. Hopefully I will pass my English 98 class so I can move on to English 101.
This is my reflection letter for my E-portfolio for my English 98 class. This class has been a good experience for me and the activities in the class have propelled my poor writing skills to adequate writing skills, in a matter of several long, somewhat boring, weeks. This class has helped prepare me for English 101 and for the rest of my life. One of the writing skills that I believe improved, after this class, is getting rid of the words “I” and “You” (metadiscourse) in college level writing. I am not demonstrating this right now because this is a letter about I and I am talking to you. In college level writing it is important to write using good metadiscourse because it helps your reader know who you are talking to and about. Some things I still think I need to improve on are clearly expressing my ideas on paper, the proper use of grammar, and punctuation. Even though my skills have improved, I still need to expand my abilities and to continue to improve my writing throughout my college career.
Another activity that helped me this year was the service learning project, which gave me a deeper understanding of the book Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. Blogging and discussing the similarities and differences between the book and the service learning was an effective method of compare and contrast. The service learning also showed me the struggles of people in my community, because my project was volunteering at a dinner for the less fortunate. The Dinner at the Bell is at a church near my house and is open every Wednesday. They usually serve upwards of 100 people. I enjoyed my experience at the dinner. I even did 15 hours instead of the required 10 hours.
This is the end of my reflective letter, but this is only the beginning of my E-portfolio and my college career. My E-portfolio shows how I have grown as a writer since taking this class. Right below this letter are samples of my favorite writing from this class. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I did writing them.

Sincerely,

Matt Wright

1 comment:

  1. matt- I really liked reading your work. Hope that you are successful in your goals.

    ReplyDelete